Current:Home > ScamsExplosions, controlled burn in East Palestine train derailment were unnecessary, NTSB official head says -Capitatum
Explosions, controlled burn in East Palestine train derailment were unnecessary, NTSB official head says
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 20:24:26
The decision to blow open five tank cars and burn the toxic chemical inside them after a freight train derailed in Eastern Ohio last year wasn't justified, the head of the National Transportation Safety Board told Congress Wednesday. But she said the key decision-makers who feared those tank cars were going to explode three days after the crash never had the information they needed.
The vinyl chloride released that day, combined with all the other chemicals that spilled and caught fire after the derailment in East Palestine, Ohio, have left residents with lingering fears about possible long-term health consequences.
Experts from the company that made the vinyl chloride inside those tank cars, Oxy Vinyls, were telling contractors hired by Norfolk Southern railroad that they believed that no dangerous chemical reaction was happening, NTSB Chair Jennifer Homendy said. But Oxy Vinyls was left out of the command center.
"They informed them that polymerization, they believed polymerization was not occurring, and there was no justification to do a vent and burn," Homendy said. "There was another option: let it cool down."
However, that information was never relayed to Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine and the first responders in charge, she said.
"This is outrageous," Democratic Sen. Sherrod Brown of Ohio said in a statement following Wednesday's hearing. "This explosion — which devastated so many — was unnecessary. The people of East Palestine are still living with the consequences of this toxic burn. This is more proof that Norfolk Southern put profits over safety and cannot be trusted."
Some of this information came out at NTSB hearings last spring in East Palestine. Homendy's comments Wednesday were the clearest yet that the controversial vent-and-burn action wasn't needed. But the agency won't release its final report on what caused the Feb. 3, 2023, derailment until it holds another hearing this June.
DeWine's spokesperson Dan Tierney said it's frustrating to hear now — more than a year after the derailment — that it wasn't necessary to blow open those tank cars.
"The only two scenarios that were ever brought up were a catastrophic explosion occurring, where shrapnel would be thrust in all directions to a one mile radius or averting that through a controlled vent and burn," Tierney said. "Nobody ever brought up a scenario where if you just did nothing, it wouldn't explode."
East Palestine Fire Chief Keith Drabick has said the consensus in the command center was that releasing and burning the chemicals was the "least bad option."
But Homendy said they never heard Oxy Vinyls' opinion that the vinyl chloride was stable. Instead, the decision-makers relied on contractors who were alarmed by the limited temperature readings they were able to get, combined with the violent way one of the tank cars released vinyl chloride with a roar from a pressure release valve after hours of calm. Drew McCarty with Specialized Professional Services testified last spring that the tank car "frankly scared the hell out of us."
Republican Sen. JD Vance, who questioned Homendy at Wednesday's hearing, said he wasn't trying to criticize Drabick, DeWine and the other officials who made the decision.
"I think it's a criticism of the people on the ground who provided inadequate information — and provided inadequate information, I think, to the great detriment of the community on the ground," Vance said. "This is extraordinary work by your team, but this is a really, really troubling set of circumstances."
Norfolk Southern defended the decision again Wednesday and said the plan had nothing to do with trying to get the trains moving again more quickly.
"The top priority of everyone involved was the safety of the community, as well as limiting the impact of the incident," the railroad said. "The successful controlled release prevented a potentially catastrophic uncontrolled explosion."
Krissy Ferguson, 49, has not been able to return to her home that sits on top of one of the creeks that was contaminated since the derailment. She said she was heartbroken to hear the latest updates from the NTSB.
"Is our government going to allow a corporation to get away with it or are they going to act on it? Or is it going to be swept down the polluted creek like everything else is?" Ferguson said.
Misti Allison, who lives with her family about a mile away from the derailment site, said the findings reaffirm what she believed to be true all along: that the vent and burn did not need to happen.
"The only justification was greed, and that Norfolk Southern was putting profits over people to get the train tracks up and running as fast as possible and to destroy whatever evidence was left," Allison said.
And most questions about the potential long-term health effects remain unanswered.
"We need to make sure that health care is available to everybody, not just those who want to participate in a study," she said.
The NTSB has said that it appears an overheating bearing on one of the railcars caused the derailment. Several trackside detectors spotted the bearing starting to heat up for miles beforehand, but the temperature didn't reach a high enough level to trigger an alarm until right before the crash. That meant the crew didn't have an opportunity to stop the train.
Many residents of East Palestine are eager to move forward once the cleanup of the derailment wraps up later this year, but some are still experiencing respiratory problems, rashes and other health concerns.
Norfolk Southern has said that its response to the disaster and the aid it has offered the town has cost it more than $1.1 billion. Now an investor group that's critical of the railroad's response and the disappointing profits it has reported over the past several years is pushing to fire CEO Alan Shaw and take control of the railroad.
- In:
- Health
- National Transportation Safety Board
- Ohio
veryGood! (839)
Related
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Here's what you need to know to prep for Thanksgiving
- A new 'Star Wars' trilogy is in the works: Here's what we know
- Police search for missing mother who vanished in Wylie, Texas without phone or car
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Fed lowers key interest rate by quarter point as inflation eases but pace of cuts may slow
- Zac Taylor on why Bengals went for two-point conversion vs. Ravens: 'Came here to win'
- Quincy Jones' Daughter Rashida Jones Shares Most Precious Memory After His Death
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- Trump’s win brings uncertainty to borrowers hoping for student loan forgiveness
Ranking
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- PETA raises tips reward to $16,000 for man who dragged 2 dogs behind his car in Georgia
- 2025 Grammy Nominations Are Here: Biggest Snubs and Surprises From Beyoncé to Ariana Grande
- $70,000 engagement ring must be returned after canceled wedding, Massachusetts high court rules
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- The first Ferrari EV is coming in 2026: Here’s what we know
- Flooding closes interstate as heavy rains soak southeast Georgia
- Beyoncé Makes History With 2025 Grammy Nominations
Recommendation
Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
Where things stand with college football conference championship game tiebreakers
New York Post journalist Martha Stewart declared dead claps back in fiery column: 'So petty and abusive'
Another Florida college taps a former state lawmaker to be its next president
The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
Horoscopes Today, November 7, 2024
Brianna LaPaglia says ex-boyfriend Zach Bryan offered her a $12M NDA after breakup
Diddy, bodyguard sued by man for 1996 physical assault outside New York City club